Saturday, November 1, 2008

Dad



K so this is a picture taken on our family trip to Nauvo the summer of '06! We're riding on the wagon tour, you can see me and Nate up front with grandpa behind us. The rest of the family is in the wagon there somewhere. And of course Sadie, the total daddy's girl sitting there on his lap! But anyways, this was one of my favorite family memories that we have so I thought it might be fun to share :) So a little recap on the trip before i fully explain the picture. We left for salt lake the night before our plane left for Chicago, it took us 5 HOURS to get to Salt Lake city Utah from our house in Rigby. This was due to traffic, horrible directions, pride and tantrums. Good start. We then boarded the plane the next morning and for the most part, all went well. The plan was to fly from Salt Lake to Chicago and then get a rental car and drive across the state to Nauvo. So anyways got to Chicago, waited an hour and a half to finally get the rental. So we decide to go get some food before embarking on the six hour drive. Dad's first stop, Hooters. Mom wasn't too pleased with this decision while Nate on the other hand, was in the back seat cheering for everyone to get out and run in as fast as we could. Needless to say we left and went to a pizza parlor. (Best pizza I've ever had). So by the time this is all said and done, we're ready to start the drive... at 4:30 pm. Needless to say, we sat in stagnant traffic for a good two hours before finally starting the drive. A lot of tears were shed on that drive, but it was all worth it. We had a really good time while we were there, we saw grandma and grandpa's shows, visited all the historical sites and got to actually do baptisms for the dead in the newly finnished temple. This was a really cool experiance for me because this was the only other time, besides my real baptism, that my dad got to do this for me. I didn't realize that it would be the last at the time either. The spirit was amazing, Granny, Grandpa, My mom and dad were all there and it was a really awesome bonding, as well as spiritual moment for me in my life with all of them. But as we all know my dad, he had to be a rebal and take everyone to the amusement park in the midst of this divine experiance. Ha ha but it was a great time, we all got to play games, eat pizza, and try talking the waitress into giving us free tokens.(dad) But the best part of that was the go-carts. Grandpa was having a rough time and had to get out a little early... i guess the intensity was a little too much :) Dad was flying around the corners and slamming everyone into the walls, nearly getting us kicked out twice! But hey, that was his style and we all adore him for it. That was one of the only family vacations we ever took, making it by far the best. Dad always was always trying to do out-of-the-way nice things for people. He loved us more than words can explain. That man taught and influenced me more in the 14 short years i got to be with him, than anyone else ever has or will be able to. Now its been almost two years since he's been gone, and I am still learning from him everyday. He is in everything I do and say. He's my hero. I can't tell you how much I brag about him to my friends constantly. He was a great man and I hope he's touched you like he's touched me. He deep drive and genuine love for everyone inspires me to be a better person every single day. I miss him so much it hurts, but I keep my head up and am very proud to say that he's my crazy, fun, amazing daddy and I love him!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the recap on the va-kay! travel was not your dad's favorite but i am so glad you have that wonderful memory with him!

Schiess Clan said...

Great post Jess, what a nice tribute to your dad. He would be so proud of you.